The Arizona Summit-to-Summit 10 Point Madness event provides a great opportunity to push the limits of 2m simplex and see what’s possible over long distances. Although I didn’t set any new personal records on this trip, some great contacts were made and plenty of fun was had.
The yagi is a homebrew design made from U-channel aluminum, steel hardware, and arrow shaft elements. The matching network is made from parallel 1/4 wavelength sections of 75 ohm coax to transform the 28 ohm yagi impedance up to 50 ohms. Those coax sections are wound a few times through a toroid as a common mode choke.
The boom is about 8 ft in length when extended and folds down to 32 inches. total weight of the antenna is about 2 lbs, and the pool cleaning pole mast adds another 2 lb or so.
MMANA GAL file: coming soon
Links to Parts:
– Mast: https://amzn.to/3lzIZOp
– Arrow Shafts: https://amzn.to/2YygPdT
– Threaded Arrow Inserts: https://amzn.to/303BpTA
– 3/8" U-channel aluminum: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-in-W-x-1-2-in-H-x-96-in-L-Aluminum-C-Channel-with-1-16-in-Thick-800547/204273936
– 1/2" U-channel aluminum: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-W-x-1-2-in-H-x-96-in-L-Aluminum-C-Channel-with-1-16-in-Thick-802657/204273938?MERCH=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-204273938-_-N&
– Nylon Threaded Rod: https://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=98831A330
– Aluminum Threaded Rod: https://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=93225A675
… more durable alternative
– Stainless Steel Threaded Rod: https://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=95412A882
– Aluminum Hex Nut: https://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=93181A009
– Nylon Washers: https://www.mcmaster.com/99872A200